The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, Dr. Jitendra Singh inaugurated a workshop-cum-exhibition on Bamboo-A wonder grass at Convention Centre, Jammu on 11 January. The workshop was held on 11-12 January 2020.
The workshop was organized by the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), North Eastern Council (NEC), Cane and Bamboo Technology Centre (CBTC), Guwahati, Assam, and Department of Social Forestry, Government of J&K.
♦ The workshop discussed the bamboo cultivation that can revolutionize the industry in Jammu and Kashmir in a cost-effective manner and can open new gates for the young start-ups.
♦ The two-day Bamboo workshop-cum-exhibition put forth various recommendations for the growth of the Bamboo industry in J&K on the pattern of the North Eastern Region.
1) Identifying and increasing the coverage of appropriate species of bamboo in J&K through tissue culture research
2) Promoting bamboo-related farmers and organizations and bamboo clusters throughout the bamboo producing areas of J&K with the involvement of PRIs.
3) Capacity building of J&K farmers and bamboo entrepreneurs at Cane and Bamboo Technology Centre (CBTC) Assam.
4) A collaboration of CBTC with the J&K Government to set up of Common Facility Centers and Bamboo Technology Parks.
5) Promoting the use of bamboo as a construction material for eco-tourism, rural housing and community buildings in rural areas.
6) The partnership between North East Handicrafts & Handlooms Corporation Ltd (NEHHDC) and J&K Government to assist the J&K artisans for the promotion and marketing of bamboo products and handicrafts.