While a CFP® professional has demonstrated the knowledge, skills and abilities to provide financial planning solutions at all levels of complexity, an FPSC Level 1 certificant is equipped to provide financial planning strategies and solutions for clients who have less complex financial planning needs. FPSC Level 1 certificants are required to attest to the same standard of care, ethics and loyalty as a CFP professional and have a Continuing Education requirement to ensure that competence is maintained and continues to grow.
Attainment of FPSC Level 1 certification also represents confirmation of readiness to move forward on the path to CFP certification, which remains the mark of the professional financial planner and the standard in financial planning.
To remain eligible for CFP certification, you must become an FPSC Level 1 certificant when you’ve successfully passed the FPSC Level 1 Examination in Financial Planning. You must maintain your FPSC Level 1 certification until you obtain CFP certification. There is no time limit for remaining an FPSC Level 1 certificant, provided that all requirements are maintained and that the certification is renewed annually.
You need to apply for FPSC Level 1 certification at the same time that you register for the FPSC Level 1 examination.
As an FPSC Level 1 certificant, you’ll have access to these benefits:
- A distinctive certification that you can promote to your employer, colleagues and clients using FPSC’s trademarked logo.
- Inclusion in FPSC’s Directory of CFP Professionals and FPSC Level 1 Certificants.
- A personalized Portal to guide you along the path to certification, provide you with valuable online resources and track your progress.
- Read more about the value of FPSC Level 1 certification.
Maintaining Your FPSC Level 1 Certification
You must renew your FPSC Level 1 certification annually by:
- Attesting that you have abided by, and will continue to abide by, the Standards of Professional Responsibility for CFP Professionals and Level 1 Certificants in Financial Planning and the Marks Use Guide for Level 1 Certificants in Financial Planning.
- Completing 12 hours of Continuing Education (excluding the year you pass the Level 1 examination and the following calendar year).
- Complete the application to renew Level 1 certification
- Download the Marks Use Guide for Level 1 Certificants in Financial Planning
Level 1 certification will end when you earn CFP certification. If your annual renewal fee was paid within the six months prior to CFP certification, FPSC will return or credit 50% of your fee.
The next step on the path to CFP certification is to take an Approved Capstone Course. These courses vary in their delivery format and are offered by several institutions throughout Canada.
- Apply to become an Level 1 certificant
- View FPSC-Approved Capstone Course programs
- View upcoming Approved Capstone Course dates
News and Events
- News for Level 1 Certificants in Financial Planning